• 16 May 2021 - 12:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Monster aka I Don't Want To Be Born (Peter Sasdy, 1975)  (Read 7342 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

SPOLIERS FROM START TO FINISH

Cheap stripper Lucy (Joan Collins) screws around with her boss to get onto the Italian strip circuit. Her dancing partner, a dwarf named Hercules (George Claydon), is in love with her and when he has his affectionate advances rejected he goes berserk and places a curse on the cock-teasing Lucy. "You will have a baby, a monster, an evil monster. Conceived in your womb, as big as I am small and possessed by the Devil himself!"

Lucy takes no notice of the short guy's ramblings and meets up with a slick Italian called Gino Carlesi (Ralph Bates) whoom she promptly marries, he's rich. Soon after Lucy gives birth to a huge baby which has violent allergic reactions to anything to do with the Church but no one seems to think anything is wrong. The local doctors puts everything down to post natal depression on Lucy's part.

Lucy can't accept the doctors diagnosis and gets the idea that the baby is a genetic throwback from an affair with her boss Tommy (John Steiner) a few months ago, but when approached with this notion his response isn't too welcoming "Jesus! You're not suggesting the little bastard's mine are you?"... Despite his unwillingness to be a father Tommy's curiosity gets the better of him and goes around to see the 'freaky offspring' just to check everything out for himself. Poking his head over into the cot Tommy receives a swift punch in the face from the baby and makes a hasty exit.

From here on in the child comes into his own and it's your standard possessed baby on the rampage scenario from now on as the child hangs his father from a tree in the garden, after which drops the body down a man hole. Decapitates Donald Pleasence with a spade and stabs his mother in the chest with some scissors, only Gino's sister can save the day because luckily she happens to be a nun. A nun exorcist. All the lights go off and wind kicks up all the furniture in the baby's room as the nun exorcises the demon child. Pictures fly off the walls and the chest of drawers falls over before the inevitable conclusion...

At times laugh out loud funny, the sight of Hercules the dwarf pawing at Colliins as he's trying to come on to her is hilarious, and at times genuinely pretty creepy. This is still one of poorer possessed child films to come out in the wake of The Exorcist, though it's not as bad as some of the Italian efforts some of which were simply unwatchable.

As far as I know this is only on DVD as part of a R2 'Classic Horror Collection' from Carlton, along side 'The Hands of the Ripper and 'The Uncanny'.

DVD info HERE

IL COMMISSARIO

I think this set is OOP, too. Tried to buy it from xploited a long time ago and he said it was OOP. I did get the other Carlton box set though.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

I think this set is OOP, too. Tried to buy it from xploited a long time ago and he said it was OOP. I did get the other Carlton box set though.

There's still a load of them still for sale at the Amazon.co.uk link I gave at the end of my initial post.  :-X

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

These can still be had cheaply, if you keep your eyes peeled. There was another set released at the same time--red box--The Hammer Vampire Collection, or something like. Definitely worth picking up.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

Yeah, that's the one i referred to above. It's also from Carlton. Got that one most assuredly. VAMPIRE CIRCUS and TWINS OF EVIL have always been two of my favorites.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Yeah, that's the one i referred to above. It's also from Carlton. Got that one most assuredly. VAMPIRE CIRCUS and TWINS OF EVIL have always been two of my favorites.

You can still get the other boxset though, even if xploited says it's OOP.

Phill

You can still get the other boxset though, even if xploited says it's OOP.

I got the Carlton set about 18 months back purely for this film and only paid a tenner for it. Ralph Bates accent has me in tears laughing at times. as does his nun of a sister "the day a vill"  ::) If evil is a dwarf the Time Bandits are the apocalypse  :-\

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Ralph Bates accent has me in tears laughing at times. as does his nun of a sister "the day a vill"  ::) If evil is a dwarf the Time Bandits are the apocalypse  :-\

I love Ralph Bates, I really do.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

Ralph Bates accent has me in tears laughing at times. as does his nun of a sister "the day a vill"  ::) If evil is a dwarf the Time Bandits are the apocalypse  :-\

Dear John, da da da da da da , Dear John!

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Phill

He was wicked in Taste The Blood Of Dracula! Not to mention Dear John  :D

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
Re: The Monster aka I Don't Want To Be Born (Peter Sasdy, 1975)
« Reply #10 on: 02 Sep 2007 - 01:06 »

"Dear John, by the time you read this I'll be gone..."

Fucking inconsiderate bitch!

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep 2007 - 01:09 »

"Dear John, by the time you read this I'll be gone..."

Fucking inconsiderate bitch!
I was only a kid wen it was on and i didn''t think it was that funny, maybee if i see it as a adulkt i might change my mind.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #12 on: 02 Sep 2007 - 05:39 »

I thought it was quite funny at the time but saw an episode about ten years back and was disappointed. Eighties comedy really doesn't date very well.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #13 on: 03 Sep 2007 - 14:34 »

Commissario, this is being re-released through Network DVD and is due 22nd October.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #14 on: 03 Sep 2007 - 20:05 »

All three films or just MONSTER?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.