• 06 Feb 2023 - 12:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mother of Tears/The Third Mother/La terza madre (Dario Argento, 2007)  (Read 70205 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

I tried not to read too many of Daliah's posts, to be honest; out of an avoidance of potential spoilers, more than anything else. But Marc's usually spot-on and he and his mate Jake both disliked it.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

magnus

ugh! it is horrible, better than the MASTER OF HORROR crap though, something close to PHANTOM OF THE OPERA but less inspired. to tell the truth it was much, much worse than i had feard, so be prepared....

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films

It does have its fun moments, but sadly these are far outweighed by the overall ineptness of the film as a whole.

It was originally intended to play at a special one-off Frightfest event where the trilogy were to be screened in order, but this was decided against once they'd seen it as they thought it would have just stood out like a sore thumb and would have been a total embarrassment.
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

Peter Neal

Reading Marc's or Magnus' personal take on the movie certainly doesn't make one expect a surefire classic - and who could honestly object to anybody disliking this or any other movie?
Having somebody feverishly campaigning against a movie and its director in such a frequent manner that you're only left thinking "What has Argento done to insult this poor fella?" is a totally different matter alltogether.
Anyway, by now it'll be probably impossible for the majority of fans, who haven't seen it yet, to approach MOT truthfully "neutral":
You'll be either looking out for stuff to hate and dismiss to rest the case OR you'll be looking out for stuff to like, because I for one still find it hard to believe that there will be nothing to enjoy in it, most likely not in a "Suspiria"/"Inferno" kind of way, but it shouldn't fully drop below "Demons" teritory...right? :-* :-\
Well, Tim Lucas' notes certainly hinted at some scenes, which could pass as mindless Euro horror fodder...which already provides a LOT, considering that there's next to nothing going on regarding recent Italian horror output to begin with.
After the exceptional bashing MOT received so far, it'll be basically impossible for me to feel honestly disappointed....but I have a growing feeling that the upcoming discussions will be much, much more diverse and interesting when Argento fans and sceptics worldwide have had a real chance of catching up with it...finally. ;D

magnus

actually it´s more the other way around, i allways get somewhat enthusiastic when there´s a new Argento film, i really would want to like it, as much as the old stuff. but unfortunally i´ve found all his later output more or less completly embarrassing,  but at least stuff like CARD PLAYER and SLEEPLESS, silly as they are, are rather fun to watch. no such luck this time. sure lots of gory and rather sleazy scenes, but no style at all, not even on a trash-level. i haven´t seen to much of the last few years US-horror hits, but i think the inspiration is from there, films like HOSTEL and SAW for the gore and in-coherent editing and the special effects did remind me of DEMONS, haha.
yes, i think it´s a good thing to have your expectations low, maybe you´ll manage to like it better that way...

Peter Neal

His later works are surely a hit-and-miss thing for me:
It took me years to fully appreciate "Stendahl" (though I still find the "revelation" poorly handled) and while there's only a handful of scenes in "Phantom" which I thought worked well, i really did enjoy "Sleepless" and even "Jenifer" had its moments - at least for me. ::)
Still have to check out Pelts...and MOT, of course...which brings me back to that all important question:

What's already kown regarding a UK release?
Will it be the Italian cinema version or the "full deal"?
Wasn't Optimum going to release it sometime around March?

Sadly, Scandinavia hasn't seen an Argento release past "Phantom of the Opera" on DVD....except the "Masters of Horror" entries.
Scandinavian fans will be certainly hanging around for AWE's upcoming release of "Deep Red"...supposedly this is going to be a real upgrade to previous releases of the flick.

Yeah, I know there's an upcoming R1 of MOT anyway....but before I'll settle for that I want to know more about possible alternatives. :-\

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.

I saw the Cardplayer at the Dead By Dawn festival. Claudio Simonetti was there as a guest. The crowd roared and laughed with the dubbing etc...what a shame for Claudio!! At the end when the girl shoots the radio, he shouted "My music!!"....Hehe...
I like the film...

Sleepless is great, i honestly liked it!
Dig that groove baby.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

Anyone got any news on the forthcoming Italian DVD release? Can't find any info at the moment. I emailed Optimum to see if they're still planning to release it on disc in the UK but haven't heard anything back.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

Anyone got any news on the forthcoming Italian DVD release? Can't find any info at the moment. I emailed Optimum to see if they're still planning to release it on disc in the UK but haven't heard anything back.

Funny you should mention that, Ben. I was looking for that on DVD.it just a couple of hours ago. Nothing on there. To be honest, I'd wait until we know it's the longer version getting a release. We know that the unrated cut debuts in US cinemas in June, so I'd wait to find out which version is getting a release, in which territory before buying one. I want to see it uncut.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

We know that the unrated cut debuts in US cinemas in June
Was it unrated in the end, i thought it got an actual NC-17.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

Just got a reply from Optimum. They are going to be releasing this on DVD in the UK but haven't got a date scheduled yet.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

Just got a reply from Optimum. They are going to be releasing this on DVD in the UK but haven't got a date scheduled yet.

You can bet your bottom dollar it'll be around Halloween, mate. Most companies seem to dump little-known and catalogue horror flicks around that time.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

You're right there, Paul. Plus sure it'll be a barebones release. I'll keep looking out for the Italian DVD...

Peter Neal

Hmmm.....barebones?

I have a shop in town, which sometimes stocks Italian DVDs, so I'll be looking out for that one, too - though I find it hard to believe that all other R2 releases are likely to be barebones.

This is really the very first Argento movie for which the net hasn't helped me much in advance so far...mostly testing my patience with adolescent bashing of a film most haven't even seen yet and illustrating what a very long way can actually ley between first "word-of-mouth" and the film's physical arrival on my home's front door...a veeeerrry long time. :-*

CardPlayer4

Welcome to the forum, Guillaume.  :P

thanks Paul (and Jonny too! ::))

Paul,are you the Henri Verneuil's fan of dvdmaniacs?? ;) :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.