• 08 Feb 2023 - 22:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graveyard of Horror / Necrophagus (Miguel Madrid, 1971)  (Read 7118 times)

THE RITA HN

This is slowly but surely becoming my hands down favourite film of all time.  The abstract quality of the story line, the decrepit and dreary atmosphere that rivals even THE HANGING WOMAN, the 'second rate' Spanish actress line-up (could be made better with maybe Loreta Tovar or something, but that's beside the point), and the PERFECT premise of the film that integrates dark cemetery dealings with an amazing looking (50s monster maker Paul Blaisdell style) ghoul REPTILE MAN (I am a huge fan of the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and Spanish atmospheric 'spook show' graveyard horror - so this Spanish combination is astounding).  Director Miguel Madrid's other great horror film THE KILLING OF DOLLS also reflects his seemingly independent nature for abstract shock.  

Anyone else appreciate this underrated Spanish masterpiece?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Graveyard of Horror / Necrophagus (Miguel Madrid, 1971)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2009 - 10:21 »

Anyone else appreciate this underrated Spanish masterpiece?

Not seen it but it sounds like a winner. Has it had any other releases apart from the US VHS on Super Video?

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2009 - 10:41 »

Yes, I have these:

Video Invest (Sweden) VHS = 83m46s
Image (USA) DVD = 86m28s

Graveyard of Horror (Image DVD) - Amazon.co.uk
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

bdc

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2009 - 10:54 »

I have the Image dvd,interesting to see how the editor plays with the viewer's expectations.
The Spanish dub should be vastly superior to the English one from what I've read.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2009 - 11:06 »

Yes, I have these:

Video Invest (Sweden) VHS = 83m46s
Image (USA) DVD = 86m28s

Graveyard of Horror (Image DVD) - Amazon.co.uk

There is also a Spanish DVD from Filmax.

There is a trailer under the title THE BUTCHER OF BINBROOK or something like that on one of the 42nd STREET FOREVER discs.  Apparently ther eis also another US video release called NECROMANIAC.  There is a TV print of GRAVEYARD OF HORROR that has a different title sequence but should otherwise be identical to the Independent International version.

babybreese

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2010 - 19:51 »

Oddly the TV print has an American International credit ( not an AIP-TV logo either ), I did not know they handled this before Sam Sherman's I-I.

I just watched the Image dvd and the Filmax version, they are the same content wise ( even the credits are the same ). 

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2010 - 21:55 »

I just watched the Image dvd and the Filmax version, they are the same content wise ( even the credits are the same ). 

The credits on the Filmax version are in English?  How's the image quality?

ciavazzaro

• Almost Human
« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2010 - 12:15 »

I have the spanish dvd by some years.
I really don't like this movie,too boring to me,and i fall asleep the first time i saw it...
Terrible.. (and im sorry of it because i adored spanish horrors)

ciavazzaro

• Almost Human
« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2010 - 12:31 »

And still about the spanish dvd:
The titles are in english,but the title (written in red) is Necrophagus,and it runs exactly 1:23:44

TEENAGER SIND NACKT

« Reply #9 on: 01 Feb 2010 - 13:53 »

hey Sam,      thanks for the word.   Just picked this up from Amazon.   With your recommendation I'm sure it'll be a great watch. 

BTW  this is Joel from the USA  ..  we did some VHS trading back in the 96 or so ...   still have that Unicorn City of the Walking Dead you gave me !

babybreese

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #10 on: 01 Feb 2010 - 14:03 »

The Spanish release has better colors overall but still looks a bit soft.  The colors are generally bolder on the Image DVD, if not as accurrate as the colors on the Spanish DVD. There is also a long scene outdorrs that is day for night on the Image dvd that is untinted on the Spanish print.

Is this Victor Israel's biggest role? I forgot how much he's in this one:)

RLaymon

« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2011 - 01:16 »

I've always loved this completely awkward film. I can remember seeing this at a really young age on one of the New York or Philadelphia stations, just remembering the bit where the little kid is playing in the snow and the beast grabs a hold of his leg. Classic!!

I picked up this obscure VHS release years ago while paying a visit to Video Oyster in NYC. As far as the label this tape is on, I've never in my life heard of GEE Video but looking at the back they released some others such as HORROR HOTEL and TERROR IN THE CRYPT. The only theory I can come up with is maybe this was some regional label somewhere in the US. I've never seen any reference to this label anywhere. Here are scans of the front and back. You may never see a more amateur cover as long as you live. And just catching this now but the horse's ass responsible for that cover, yeesh, would anyone in their right mind really want to take credit for this!?!? And yet there it is, right up front. Enjoy!

Front:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/scan0004p.jpg/
Back:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/scan0002m.jpg/

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2011 - 01:34 »

As far as the label this tape is on, I've never in my life heard of GEE Video but looking at the back they released some others such as HORROR HOTEL and TERROR IN THE CRYPT.

I've seen their cover for PLANET OF BLOOD - a long, long time ago - and someone enclosed a photo of the YOG, MONSTER FROM SPACE cover in an early issue of Video Watchdog.  They were also hand-drawn.

bruce holecheck

• Almost Human
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2011 - 14:09 »

Any chance I could get a scan of the side spine of that GEE tape?  I'm getting ready to do up the NECROMANIAC tape on my blog and would love to include that edition!  I'm also on the prowl for any import tape releases; I've found a few covers online, but only front scans.
-----------------------------
Cinema Arcana
Knee-Deep in Cinemuck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.