• 08 Feb 2023 - 21:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: May Morning / Alba pagana (Ugo Liberatore, 1970)  (Read 7696 times)

Phill

May Morning / Alba pagana (Ugo Liberatore, 1970)
« on: 18 Oct 2007 - 21:23 »

I bought this film after listening to a Tremeloes song on the British Psych compelation Tea And Symphony and reading in the footnotes that the song was from this film. Didn't know what to expect and it turns out the film is really quite good in a late sixties kind of way, not that that is a bad thing at ALL!
Alessio Orano (The Killer Must Kill Again) stars as Vallerio Montelli an Italian student in his first year at Oxford and discovering the arcane traditions of the college he his attending. He is recruited into the Oxford Blues rowing team as one of his tutors say's it's a sure way of passing his exams, his head tutors daughter played by the lovely Jane Birkin seems to have the hots for him and her father has some strange habits, he keeps a womans wig in his rooms! It's a minor plot point but I was hoping the old bugger was going to turn out to be a cross dressing psycho, he isn't sadly!  ;D Birkins boyfriend (get this for a name!) Roderick Rodney Stanton is played by the legendary John Steiner and he is well aware of the oldboys network and the rules.
When Vallerio tries it on with Birkin the film becomes slightly confused IMHO I think were meant to feel sorry for him but frankly I didn't! His idea of revenge is a bit bloody stupid and downright sleezy if you ask me. Anyway Oxford is filmed beautifully as is Birkin, the soundtrack by the Tremeloes is a cracker and although an odd little film it's well worth a watch.

Stephen Grimes

Re: May Morning / Alba pagana (Ugo Liberatore, 1970)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2007 - 21:27 »

This sounds great,has it had a dvd release Phill?

Phill

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2007 - 21:31 »

This sounds great,has it had a dvd release Phill?

Yea it's on a cheapo R1 label VCI, got it for a couple of quid off Amazon marketplace, the prints really good for a release of it's kind.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2007 - 08:38 »

This is another title I have and haven't seen. I have the VCI disc too.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

JoseADiego

• Special Cop In Action

Gary B.

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2008 - 17:39 »

This is one I haven't watched in years, but remember it being somewhat boring...  will have to re-assess it soon.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2008 - 11:01 »

Just got the VCI DVD of this, £4 from Amozon.uk . Nice scope print, 16:9 enhanced.

Haven't watched it yet but the trailer's certainly interesting with Jane Birkin tripping out at a disco and John Steiner playing a guy called Roderick Rodney Stanton. All set in early 1970's Oxford and London.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2008 - 11:24 »

I've never heard of this, look forward to your thoughts on it.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2008 - 12:59 »

[COPY AND PASTE ANSWER] I've got this, but haven't seen it.

There was a thread devoted to this flick on the old Lovelockandload forum - I seem to remember Phill liking it.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jun 2008 - 13:13 »

Is this aka DELITTO A OXFORD?Seen the title on an Italian traders list,i should really make an effort to see it especially as it stars John Steiner.
Also is the new Álex de la Iglesia film THE OXFORD MURDERS a remake or connected to it in anyway?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jun 2008 - 13:22 »

Yes mate, this is otherwise known as 'Delitto a Oxford' not sure if it's connected with Iglesia's film though.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jun 2008 - 18:41 »

Iglesia's film's plot sounds different: DVDgo link

Peter

• Global Moderator
  • Special Cop In Action
    • Fragments of Fear - A Giallo Podcast
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jun 2008 - 20:49 »

No similarities at all between the two. It's been a while since I watched MAY MORNING, but I remember it as a drama. THE OXFORD MURDERS is a straight up murder mystery. A very poor murder mystery I might add. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.